Monday, June 18, 2007

Welsh-flag spotting outside Wales

I don't know about you but whenever I'm outside Wales I seem to have an in-built and somewhat distracting tendency to go Welsh flag spotting. (Come to think of it, it happens when I'm in Wales too... I really ought to have better things to do with my time.) It always seems to surprise me that other countries fly the Welsh flag. It shouldn't, of course, because Wales has many present and historic connections with countries as far apart as Australia, Argentina, India, the US, Canada, etc.

But it was still a delight to find so many Welsh flags adorning the beautiful city of Dublin during a recent day visit. I must have easily spotted about 7 or 8 within a few hours. In a strange way it makes you feel welcome.


Interestingly - and this may be a figment of my imagination - I didn't spot any St. George flags and very few St. Andrew flags. Something else I noticed - there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of buildings displaying the Irish, Italian and Welsh flags all together, such as the one below. Anyone know why this is?


PS. If you're a Welsh flag spotter yourself, you may be interested in my new blog: http://walesbeyondwales.blogspot.com/

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I lived in Ireland for two years and never, ever saw a St George's flag or a Union Jack anywhere. Possibly anybody flying one would be lynched (an Irish word). The Welsh dragon is of course acceptable there. For more on flag-waving please see my latest blog posting at : http://alanindyfed.blogspot.com

Alan in Dyfed

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Plaid Cymru will now join Labour in a coalition.
Plaid Cymru has now indisputedly come of age. It has gained stature as a serious and concerned political party, and as the only Party of Wales, the party which puts Welsh interests first.
It has taken on the role as the conscience of the people, and is well on the road to success. It is donning the mantle of power and testing the waters of bi-partisan government.
I would urge all rainbow warriors to back Plaid in its new venture in creating the conditions for nationhood.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Trevor said...

i'm american with some welsh heritage in my family. i have a welsh flag flying on the wall of my home office, here in the states.

'dw i'n dysgu cymraeg, hefyd! dysgwr newydd ydw i ond 'dw i eisiau i siarad yr iaith yn rhugl.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Caribbean Welsh Bridge said...

I spotted a Welsh flag just today!

Could you please comment about the Segolene Royal affair at Harvard regarding her reported support for the independence of the US territory of Porto Rico?

http://5-yearslater.com/index.php/2008/03/14/2118-segolene-royal-favorable-a-l-independance-de-porto-rico

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A9gol%C3%A8ne_Royal#L.27affair:_Vive_le_Porto_Rico_Libre

If she can say this about Porto Rico, she may consider saying the same about Wales, right!?

Thanks!

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm, I live in Dublin and it makes me feel welcome & proud. I think the flags tend to go up for the Wales-Ireland rugby match & stay up, because dubliners are quite fond of the Welsh (or so it seems to me). One could also put the absence of St. George flags down to the tendency of the irish to conflate england and britain. I think most irish people would struggle with the idea of an english flag that wasn't the union jack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home